Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA was the perfect place to spend a day to celebrate. After turning in my latest manuscript HER CHRISTMAS COWBOY for November 2014 release, my husband and I took a drive to enjoy a relaxing day of beauty and sunshine. We strolled through miles of gardens, ate lunch in the conservatory, and took hundreds of photographs. Here are some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them.
Photographs by author Adele Downs and may not be copied or otherwise used without permission.
It’s hard to believe summer is almost gone. How have I spent the season? Writing, mostly. And spending time with my adorable new grandson; the light of my life.
Her Christmas Cowboy is finished and ready to turn-in to my editor for November 2014 publication. Naturally Yours will release in September 2014 and Her Immortal Viking in Spring 2015. Plus, there are several more manuscripts in the works. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks so much for your encouragement and support.
If you’d like to join my street team Adele Downs’ Convertible Crew on Facebook and help get the word out about my books, I’d love to hear from you. To join, click the Blogroll link on the sidebar. There are opportunities to read excerpts of my stories before publication, win prizes, and receive ARCs for review. I hope to see you there!
Join us as we close out the month with a Christmas in July Cool Yule party on Facebook! Hosted by author pal Alanna Lucas. We’re giving away prizes and playing games. I’ll be featured from 9:25-9:40 PM EDT and hope you’ll stop by to join the fun!
Join us on Facebook Monday and Tuesday July 28, 29 for our Entangled Publishing Christmas in July event!
Lots of fun and tons of prizes! Just one of the items being given away is this adorable Firefighter Santa Bear Christmas ornament. Too cute!
Here’s the link. I hope to see YOU there!
I’m working on a Lunchbox Romance short story for Boroughs Publishing Group to be released November 2014, titled HER CHRISTMAS COWBOY. Readers have asked for more of Trey and Daisy from KISSING HER COWBOY and I’m excited to offer this standalone tale about their first Christmas together. More information coming this fall!
More accurately, I met Sheriff Walt Longmire’s creator.
My local independent bookstore hosted Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire Mystery series, during his recent tour to promote his new release. I’ve never missed an episode of Longmire on A&E and wanted to meet the man whose creative genius brought Sheriff Walt Longmire, Deputies Victoria Moretti and Branch Connolly, and Walt’s lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear to life. The characters seem so real they’re like neighbors you’d want at your backyard beer bash. If you haven’t discovered Longmire, the modern-day cowboy detective of Absaroca County, Wyoming, do yourself a favor and add the series to your reading and TV lists.
About 100 fans gathered at Chester County Books to hear Craig Johnson discuss Longmire and learn about his role on the television show. I found it both interesting and reassuring that Johnson maintains some creative control of each episode in the series. I’ve met other authors whose books have been turned into hugely successful TV shows, and they said they hardly recognized their characters or stories. Johnson reads every script line by line before production and has a voice in the story outcome. I’m convinced that’s why the show has remained true to his characters.
Here are some fun facts Johnson mentioned during the book chat:
- Craig Johnson and his wife Judy live in Ucross, Wyoming; population 25. (Yes, you read that right. Twenty-five.)
- Although episodes of Longmire have been based on Walt Longmire mystery novels, the endings have been changed so that readers and TV viewers can enjoy a crossover experience. Readers of the series will discover that murder suspects in the books are not the same suspects in the TV shows. This approach keeps the stories fresh and eliminates spoilers.
- Longmire is A&E’s most successful television series to date.
- Craig Johnson received a Master’s Degree from Temple University. That connection is the reason he travels to Pennsylvania during book tours. (Yay, for us!) His Philadelphia roots are also behind the creation of his character Vic Moretti, a Philly native and former member of the Philadelphia police force.
- Walt Longmire is surrounded by women he depends upon. His dispatcher Ruby keeps his office running smoothly. Daughter Cady rules his heart. The memory of his murdered wife, Martha, fuels his motivation. His deputy Vic Moretti is his alter-ego. Vic is tough, urban, and rough edged; while Walt is tough, country, and big-hearted. Johnson said (paraphrase), “If you were speeding down a highway in Absaroca County, you’d want Walt, not Vic, to give you a ticket.” (As an aside, I should mention that recent episodes hinted at an attraction between Walt and Vic, but neither character acted on that attraction. When thousands of Longmire Facebook fans were asked if Walt and Vic should get together, they responded with a resounding NO!)
- Johnson said he hasn’t decided yet if he’ll write scripts for Longmire.
Let’s hope Craig Johnson writes lots more books, and that Longmire lasts for years, with compelling stories about the characters from Absaroca County.
Author Craig Johnson, Longmire Mystery Series. Photo by Author Adele Downs.
New York Times and USA Best-Selling author Lisa Mondello hosts KISSING HER COWBOY author Adele Downs at “Conversations with Lisa.” Stop by, take a look around, and fall in love with a cowboy.
KISSING HER COWBOY is an Amazon Top 100 Best-Selling Western, Western Romance, and Short Romance!
Only .99! Outstanding reviews!
BUY on Amazon!